Dear Mentor

Dear Mentor

I’m writing this post to you to tell you about #YourEduStory – a weekly blogging challenge that encourages educators to share their teaching stories. The challenge is managed by Jo-Ann Fox (@AppEducationFox) and educators from around the world submit topics for the weekly challenge as well as participating in it. Participants share their reflections via the hashtag #YourEduStory on Twitter.

I decided to write to you because I want to know more about your story. I see you do amazing work at our school and would like to know more about your journey as our technology leader. You became our tech leader whilst I have been at the school and you have worked tirelessly to implement our 1:1 laptop program and integrate technology within our classrooms. You are an inspiration to me. You have had to create this entire program and implement it, despite all the obstacles thrown in your way. It hasn’t been an easy process especially with those who resist change. For others however, like me, it has given us the opportunity to make learning more engaging for our students. You also supported me whilst I was a domain tech leader who didn’t know much about being a leader or how to effectively use technology. However, thanks to your encouragement, I have grown more confident in my abilities.

This blogging challenge has helped me reflect on what I do in my classroom and at school. It makes me think about my actions and helps me develop my voice. It is a good way of articulating ideas that are swirling around my head and gives them an outlet. At times I struggle to write a post on a particular topic because I feel as if I don’t have enough information or thoughts about it. On these occasions I read other educators’ posts in order to read their opinions on it. By reading others’ posts, it allows me to continue my learning. It’s an interesting way to learn about other educators’ teaching journeys and about how they reflect on their experiences.

I know that it is hard to find time to always write on a weekly basis and this term I have struggled a lot with it. However that’s okay and you can always come back to the topics at a later stage. It’s a good way to reflect on your teaching, learning and leadership journey so far. I hope you will consider sharing #YourEduStory.

Hope you have a good holidays.

Lisa