Learning is has been part of my life’s journey- I have been learning since the day I was born. Often I didn’t even realise that I was learning because I equated learning mostly with school. Until I started thinking about this topic, I wasn’t conscious about how much I have learnt and continue to learn on a daily basis.
I wanted to be independent so I learnt:
- to drive a car
- how to teach, so I could get a job and earn a living
- how to use the Melbourne transport system (in case my car breaks down or I need to go to the city)
- how to pay bills and manage my money when I moved out of home.
I became a technology leader and I didn’t know how to use it effectively, so I:
- attended technology conferences
- learnt how to use Twitter to talk to other educators about technology in the classroom
- participated in Twitter chats to learn about how technology is breaking down classroom walls
- participated in an Edmodo course to learn how to get connected and try out new online resources
- read blogs, websites like Edutopia to learn how to improve my use of ICT in the classroom
There are many other reasons I learn:
- I’m interested in giving my students a voice in the classroom- so I read anything I can on that topic.
- I’ve become the English Learning Leader so I’m constantly learning on the job and finding PD to help me.
- I’m doing a year long Leadership course because I want to be an effective leader.
- My students love sharing information about themselves and what they read which allows me to learn more about them.
- I love dancing so I took ballroom dance lessons and learnt new dances.
At times throughout my life, I was learning just to get by. However I’ve realised that when I’m passionate about something, that’s when my learning is the strongest. It’s been years since I was a student myself, but as a teacher I’ve realised that in some ways I’m still a learner. Every day I learn something new and often don’t realise it. Whether it is learning to dance or learning about my students, if I’m passionate about something then I will learn. I don’t want to stop this learning journey because there is still so much I want to know and do.
So what motivates me to learn? Being passionate about something.
So my question to you is “What motivates you to learn?”