2014: A Year in Review

My 2014 journey:

1. I joined Twitter and it’s made me think more about my teaching practice. It’s opened up a new world of PD for me along with educator blogs, Google Hangouts and communities. Pd in pajamas and in my own time!
  2. I’ve become passionate about Student voice in my classroom and take time to talk to my students about what they think about the class on a daily basis. 
  3. I take more time to get student feedback and show them that I’m implementing their suggestions in the classroom. 
  4. By reflecting regularly on my lessons and teaching practice in my blog posts, I am constantly thinking about the reasons why I adopt new technology or a different method of teaching.
  5. My development as a Leader is changing because of conversations with leaders at school- I know why I want to be a teacher and a leader
  6. I’ve re-ignited my passion for teaching by connecting with educators outside my school- there is so much that I want to do.
  7. Implementing #PBL within my own Year 8 class has seen a dramatic improvement in student engagement and learning and I hope to do this with all my classes from Years 7-9. 
  8. My Year 7 students’ class blog is up and running. Students are getting used to posting their work on the blog and even my teaching team is now more familiar with running the class blog. This will carry on next year as I hope to extend it to their other subjects as well. 
  9. I became more comfortable with my role as the Domain Technology Leader as the year passed. Helping staff implement Blended learning lessons in their classroom was a challenge and at times it seemed as if there were too many obstacles. However staff from all 4 domain areas presented their Blended Learning Action Projects on the 10th of December 2014. It was a great success and it was wonderful to see other teachers come and learn from participants in a “speed-dating” session. Feedback from staff and participants was positive with many remarking that they had picked up ideas to implement in their own classrooms in 2015. 

Overall, this year has been a positive learning experience for me. I have become an enthusiastic learner and am constantly looking for new ideas to implement in the classroom. I constantly evaluate my teaching practice to ensure that it is the students who benefit from it. 

Where to from here:

1. First of all, a well-deserved summer break during which I will be going to Europe for the first time- a dream come true.
  2. In 2015, I will no longer be a Domain Technology Leader. Instead I will be the English Learning Leader- a new role for me with many new responsibilities. I’m sad to give up my tech role but I look forward to new challenges. 
  3. I have also been accepted into Bastow’s 2015 Emerging Leaders’ Program – this will help me further develop my leadership skills and hopefully will help me become more confident in my role as a leader at school. 
  4. I will continue to learn from Twitter, blogs and all the great educators out there. I’ve already downloaded e-books on to my Kindle to read whilst I’m on long plane journeys. I’m looking forward to reading “Teach like a PIRATE”, “Digital Leadership” and many others. 
  5. I’m looking forward to learning from my students and working with them again in 2015.