Diigo vs Flipboard

Curation tools are a lifeline: they help you gather resources that you read from Twitter, Google, blogs and other sites. They allow you to decide what you want to keep so that you can consult, annotate and constantly refer back to articles of interest. However deciding which ones to use is a tough choice. The ones that I’ve tried are Flipboard, Diigo, Evernote and more recently Scoop.it.

Diigo was the 1st curation tool that I started using. I was introduced to it at school and we have a group where teachers share new technology tools or websites that might be useful. I continue to use it to save all my favourite websites and tools so that I don’t lose them. It allows me to categorize them according to topic and I can go back to refer to them when I need. I use it predominately to share new websites or resources with staff at school. For me the positive feature of this curation site is that I share sites directly with staff who are part of the Diigo group. My web toolbar also has the Diigo Web Collector which allows me to add the useful websites directly into my Diigo account. Yet at times I feel that for me Diigo is just my favourites’ folder which has all the sites I use and I often forget about it until I need a resource that I have used before. Since I’ve also been trying Evernote, I might decide to stick with one of them instead of using both.

Flipboard is a curation tool that I have been using recently. I use the app version on my phone and I use it to collate articles and other useful information for my own personal learning. I stumbled upon Flipboard during the ISTE14  conference. This helped me read the tweets and articles generated by the conference in my own time and at my own pace. It was a good way to follow the conference rather than using Tweetdeck as the tweets were too fast to follow. I have been using it more frequently to organise my own reading according to topics that I am interested in. One such magazine that I’ve created is “Student Voice” as that is my focus for Term 4. I like that you can embed the magazines into blogs and share them with the readers.

View my Flipboard Magazine.

2 thoughts on “Diigo vs Flipboard

1. Hi Lisa

Thanks for sharing your comparison of the two curation tools. It is on my list to experiment with auto posting from Flipboard and Pinterest to Diigo. Flipboard and Pinterest are my preferred curation tools; Diigo makes it much easier to find resources you’ve bookmarked.

Sue

• Hi Sue

I’ve got an account on Pinterest but it’s more for travel and crafts rather than edu resources.I haven’t tried auto-posting but will do so at a later stage.

Lisa