Web 2.0- Connecting the world

It’s pretty embarrassing to admit this but for the entirety of my teaching career, I have been using the phrase “Web 2.0” without really understanding what it means and how it differed from the Web that was originally created. I  remember missing out on a P.D in my 1st year of teaching that was on “Web 2.0” but I didn’t realise the vital information I missed out on.

So what is “Web 2.0” stand for? Well I thought it was just the improved version of the  internet since it was created. However whilst watching the video from the “Connected Educators’ Started Kit”, I realised that Web 2.0  is more than just an “improved version”. It is a place where we can read information as well as create our own. The original Web 1.0 was only for reading and consuming. It was a one-way street where information was delivered to the consumer. On the other hand, with Web 2.0, the user can also be the creator as they have the ability to create their own information and/or resources. The consumer can also be the producer- there is a two-way exchange.

With the constant use of Web 2.0 tools, as an educator I can see how useful it is in today’s world. I don’t have to be there to answer every single question posed by students. Students can search the information for themselves. They can create their own content and add information to the web. Web 2.0 allows them to connect with people they have never met and this is true for me as well. Through Web 2.0, I have connected with educators not just in Melbourne but also around the world.

Whilst the Youtube clip was uploaded in 2007, it is still relevant today in 2014. It raises issues that I still need to be aware of in my my classroom:

1. Copyright- Am I using materials within the limits of copyright? Can I re-use the material in my classroom?
  2. Authorship- Have I acknowledged the author of work that I am using? Do I have permission to use someone else’s work? Have I checked the work for a Creative Commons’ License?
  3. Privacy/Identity- Am I protecting my students’ privacy on websites? Am I teaching my students to protect their online identity and to be careful about their privacy?
  4. Ethics- Is information being used correctly? Have I taught my students’ to respect content created by others and to acknowledge their sources?
  5. Governance- Who checks that students are safe online- their teachers, parents, school? Who monitors students’ safety?