Learning with Voxer

Voxer

Voxer is a push-to-talk and messaging app on your phone. You can use it for free or pay for the premium features (e.g. saving messages, having a conversation with more than 5 people at once). You can choose to listen to the messages in your own time. Besides voice messages, you can also send written messages, share links and images with the group.

Conversations in Voxer:

Andrea Stringer a moderator for the Twitter chat “#satchatoc”, started a Voxer group for participants of the chat as a way of continuing the conversations after the weekly chat. The aim was to allow educators to expand on their ideas and thoughts and engage with each other on a different level. It also allowed for more than 140 characters (the limit for a tweet). I added my name to the list in order to continue my learning. I didn’t know what to expect but I wanted to give it a go. If I thought voicing my opinion in 140 characters on Twitter was hard, talking about them on Voxer is even more challenging. Since Andrea has a pro account, there are over 20 people in the group discussing their opinions.

How the Voxer works for the satchatoc group:

There is no set script for the group or set questions.  The conversation flows easily between the members. The topic started with parental engagement and at the moment the group is examining the idea of school goals and individual goals. You have the opportunity to pick apart ideas or focus on key points that you are interested in. The group members are not just from Australia but around the world, so messages come it at different times of the day or night. Members listen to/leave messages to and from work, when children are asleep and generally when it suits them.

Questions to think about from the Voxer group:

1. What motivates someone to be a leader?
  2. What experience do you have to offer as a leader?
  3. Do teachers in their early years of teaching have the experience to be a leader?
  4. Is leadership a way of giving back to the school community?
  5. Who helps me develop my goals as a leader?
  6. What can we learn from leaders who are our mentors?
  7. Do I have a direction of where my career is going?
  8. What challenges can you face as a leader?
  9. Do you enter leadership without your own understanding of what a leader should be?
  10. What challenges can younger teachers face when applying for leadership roles?

My challenges with Voxer:

• Overcoming my fear of talking to people I only know online
  • Not knowing what to say- I find it difficult to talk without having jotted down my main points especially when it’s on a topic that is quite focused (my first and only message so far was not quite to the point and ended with a “so yeah”)
  • Feeling that my thoughts aren’t important or sound like I’m just rambling
  • Knowing when to share my opinions- I’m so busy listening to others thoughts that by the time that I think of what to say in reply, they’ve already passed on to another topic.

My aim on Voxer:

• To become comfortable with voicing my own opinions
  • Learning how to be more confident with talking about ideas that are important to me
  • Engaging in the discussion with the other educators as a way of strengthening my own voice as a teacher

This entry was posted in Voxer.

2 thoughts on “Learning with Voxer

1. Hi Lisa

I’ve been using Voxer for 2 months and joined the “#satchatoc” voxer group over the weekend. I like Voxer because it does make your reflect on information, and grabs your attention differently than reading blogs posts and interacting on Twitter. However, it can be slightly more intimidating because you can’t delete what you said.

Since most of the group I interact with in the other Voxer group are in the opposite time zone here are some tips that have helped me:

1. If there is a lot of voxers it can be time consuming to listen to. Simple solution is to play the voxers at x3 speed. You can still understand most people and helps get through them faster as you listen. There is a fast forward link on the right hand side of the vox once it starts playing — you just click it until it speeds up to the speed you want to listen at.
    2. I’ll add text notes at the bottom as I’m listening of things I want to come back to discuss.
    3. If my response is to an earlier topic I’ll add a text note to say what my vox is about and then may start off the vox saying I am going to talk about x.

Thanks!

Sue Waters
    Support Manager
    Edublogs | CampusPress

• Hi Sue, thanks for the tips on using Voxer. I will certainly make use of them as I try to become more comfortable with it.