Blogging with students

Our library classes have introduced my Year 7 students to blogging. A blog was created for each student and they were asked to make it their own. This meant they had to look at presentation of their blog, what it was going to be about as well as learning how to use it. Having blogged for just 2 months I know how hard it can be. Thinking about the theme of the blog is hard because you need to be able to find a variety of topics to write about. It can be about your life, your travels, Web 2.0 tools- people write about anything and everything.

What happens if you don’t know what to write about? Creating your own blog can be a daunting task and many adults would be afraid to write. My Year 7s gave it their best shot- they tried to get to the website and organise the presentation, but that’s where they seem to lose interest. What do we write about? I don’t know what to write about, Miss! I was asked for 43 different things that they could write about. At their age, they aren’t in the habit of just writing. Until last year, I wasn’t able to just write about anything and everything. With the writer’s journal, I trained myself to develop my writing skills. It’s taken a whole year, to get to the point where I’m comfortable about my writing. To write for a public audience is not easy. The thought is constantly there that someone will read and critique it.

I decided to create just one class blog and add my students to it. We’ve now started our journey of blogging. It’s been interesting working on my blog as well as the class blog. The training process has been interesting and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens……..