Why Technology?

I had an interesting discussion with one of my colleagues this morning. I was sharing information with her about the Edmodo training group that I had done about Web 2.0 Tools. She asked me a few questions about what I had learnt and I showed her my blog and Twitter feed. Her responses made me realise that I need to continue asking these questions about my teaching practice:

1. What Web 2.0 tools are effective in MY classroom?
  2. Am I just throwing technology tools at my students and expecting them to use them?
  3. Are my students learning how to use these tools effectively or do they just have surface knowledge of them?
  4. What do I want to see happening in my classroom as a result of the use of technology?
  5. Are my reluctant learners taking advantage of the fact that they can use the laptops to play games and watch videos that are not relevant to the curriculum?
  6. Are my reluctant learners and EAL students being overwhelmed by the curriculum and use of technology that they don’t know what they are doing?
  7. Am I teaching the correct skills in my classroom? Are they learning 21st century skills that they need in their lives?
  8. Is technology just being used in my classroom because the school wants it and being a technology leader I’m expected to do so?
  9. Is technology just being used as a substitution model in my classroom or is it redefining the learning in the classroom?

As term 2 draws to a close, these questions swirl around in my mind. I will need to do some thinking over the 2 week holiday period and decide what my focus will be in terms 3 and 4 in regards to technology.

This entry was posted in General.